Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Dangers of Irresponsible Roommates

So it's just recently come to my attention that my roommate somehow managed to "lose" my 3 ft long corn snake. I know it may have seemed a bad idea to leave my animals with her while I was gone for Christmas Break, but rest assured, I am not nearly that bad of a pet owner. I had planned to pack up my reptiles and bring them home with me for the month I was off, which I know causes animals some stress, but I had thought it would be better than leaving them. However, I was assured time and again by my roomie that she could handle their feeding and upkeep, and that I shouldn't worry, so me being the nice person that I am took her word, got the necessary food and supplies for them, and left them in her care. Not two weeks after I had left did I get the phone call...with her first words "now don't freak out but..." failing to reassure me that she had done the job she'd promised she could do. My 3 ft long corn snake "Shae" had dissappeared. The roommate didn't waste any time in telling me that she had accidentally let it out while feeding it, and it had gotten away to the far reaches of my bedroom. Now, you would think one could find such an animal in a relatively minimalistic bedroom as I maintain, although the poor-quality apartment I live in does have several decently-sized holes and cracks in various corners of every room, which I reckon a snake of that size could slip through. Now my roommate is tasked with checking daily at dusk and dawn (Corn Snakes are crepescular, meaning that these are the times they are most active), and has yet to find it.

Morale of the story? Take personal care and responsibility for your animals, don't let inexperienced family members, roommates, or friends take care of your pets no matter what assurances they give you. I wish I could say otherwise, but my christmas season has been slightly marred by this ill-fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment