Saturday, April 17, 2010

Always Hard to Deal With...


Alas....today my Green Iguana (Iguana Iguana), Rigel, died. As is typical with many mass-imported reptiles, especially iguanas, the stress, parasite load, and poor farm conditions within which the iguanas are initially raised before being shipped to the U.S. takes its toll on their health, and can cause premature death and other issues. Indeed, many young Green Iguanas don't make it past their first year, as is the case with Rigel. Although he seemed perfectly healthy and active when I got him, and I (admittedly) foolishly didn't take him to a vet, his health had been declining for the last two days or so, with rapid weight loss and less-than-healthy colouration, despite having ideal captive conditions for him, and he expired in the night, only to be found still and lifeless within his cage this morning. I will miss him greatly. I'll treat this as a good life-lesson, and in the next few weeks will have a full check-up done on all of my remaining reptiles, and make sure to redouble my efforts in keeping them happy and healthy.

To the readers out there, let this be a lesson to you, never get a Green Iguana as a pet unless you're experienced and fully prepared to care for one in its fullest.

1 comment: